• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Healing itches!

Pillthrill

Bluelighter
OK, I have stitches and awhile before I can get them out. And I want to scratch my freaking arm off! How do I get them to stop itching!!

benadryl. i think topical analgesic might work, unless it is a deep wound...that may lead to an infection.

PT I know the exact type of itching you mean!
When I had stitches and I needed to scratch them, I'd make sure they were covered with dressing (like a band-aid) and just gently rub the area over the top of the dressing (DON'T use your nails!!). You can gauge how heavy to scratch and just keep your level of intensity very controlled so you don't damage the stitches or the wound.

Alternatively you could do as The Chemist says and use Benedryl or some anti-histamine like Phernergan to stop the itching sensation.

Helping. Thanks guys. I get so frustrated I just want to cut them out, bad idea.

I just had 8 stitches on my chin after my car accident so I feel you pain bro. Got a cast on my arm so i'm an itching mess. Glad I got back on the subs cuz the opi-itch would probably drive me insane. My simple method to avoid ripping the wound back open was tap it don't scratch it. The bandaid idea sounds good too. I would go for oral anti histamines to avoid infection. They seem to work alright, and if anything atleast they'll help you fall asleep at night.

Lately, I have been having a lot of aching in my arm that I got the stitches in. The wound, located on my wrist, seems to be healing fine but my whole arm from my elbows to my fingers aches. Ibuprofen takes the edge off but it doesn't go away. Am I just having some icky healing here?

Bump for info. Any ideas? Also, they took them out and the top layer of skin didn't heal well, it seems just "folded over" more than anything. So much so that my bf started taking them out and decided maybe I should go to ER and let them do it to make sure it's all ok. I've been putting Vitamin E oil on it and taping it closed with steri-strips to try to get it to close better. Any other ideas?

liquid nails, or New-Skin.

or you could super-glue it shut.

they do something like this in Canada, i believe so patients heal faster.

We have new skin at work and it tends to flake off.
I'm worried about infection with super glue and I have used vitamin E before. I got 18 stitches in my face and used it and if anyone has seen pics you can't even tell. So I'm very much into using it. Super glue would lessen the effects. Is it worth the trade off. I'm going to hate this scar either way. But I am concerned that I have done some nerve damage. My bf says nerves would be likely deeper, closer to the bone, but then why am I have this aching pain still? And shooting pain if I move a couple of my fingers just right?

Bump for info. Any ideas? Also, they took them out and the top layer of skin didn't heal well, it seems just "folded over" more than anything. So much so that my bf started taking them out and decided maybe I should go to ER and let them do it to make sure it's all ok. I've been putting Vitamin E oil on it and taping it closed with steri-strips to try to get it to close better. Any other ideas?

Yeah I just had the stitches taken out of my face and it's pretty much a folded over flap of skin too. If both you and me get lucky it will start to fill it a little bit over time, but my doc told of to prepare for a life with the new nickname "Scarface".

Scarface, how nice...
It's gonna scar pretty bad and it still hurts some but I guess you just gotta deal with shit at this point.

Once it's fully healed, try something like Bio-Oil. I used it on some of my scars for a few months and it helped a bit. Depends on the type of scar though, I have a few keloid ones on my legs and it hardly helped them at all.

Worth a try though! You just have to wait until the wound is completely healed.

I have other ones that I didn't get stitches with that turned into keloid scars. I've been using vitamin E as it's healing since it isn't open or anything now.